Asia Wise is a flexible teaching program that provides a resource for teachers to use at three levels. You can use only the Asia Wise Challenge or all three.
The Asia Wise Challenge
is a broad based introductory research program that consists of 50 multiple choice questions that students answer online. All topics are drawn directly from the Australian Curriculum.
Asia Wise In Depth
provides the opportunity for students to pursue their area of interest from the Asia Wise Challenge to produce an in-depth report using whatever media they prefer.
Asia Wise Attitudes
lets teachers concentrate on social or cultural issues raised in the Asia Wise Challenge to stimulate students to form an opinion and be prepared to justify their stance.
Asia Wise develops people with a sound knowledge and understanding of the History, Geography and cultures of Asia in line with the Australian Curriculum
- General Knowledge Quiz click here
- Join facebook for a weekly resource update
- Teacher registration is free
- Access to the Asia Wise Project (Asia Wise Challenge, Asia Wise In Depth, Asia Wise Attitudes)
- Student assessment and results
- Comparative statistics (within your school and national averages)
- Certificate for students
- Ambassador competition. Use the general knowledge quiz and get a ranking for your students each week showing the leaders in your school and across the nation. Winners each week can submit a set of questions to the website.
Total number of Students participating per year
Total number of Schools participating
Years in operation
Total number of individual challenge participants
Frequently Asked Questions
- What grades is the competition for? – There are separate programs for lower (Aus years 7 & 8 – NZ 8 & 9) and upper (Aus years 9 & 10 – NZ 10 & 11).
- How do I register? You can register online or by sending an email to admin@AsiaWise.org.au
- How much does it cost? Teachers can register free of charge. If they choose to enrol students it costs $6 Aus per student ($6 NZ, $5US) plus a one off school admin fee of $40. See pricing
- When is registration due? – Asia Wise can be used at any time from March to December. You need to register two weeks before you wish to use the program
- When can we participate? – Anytime before December 7th
- How do schools use the Asia Wise Program? – Powerful applications seen by schools include:
- Introduction to Asian studies – a great scene-setter as they prepare to study Asia
- Capstone for existing units – a break, and stimulation for deeper understanding
- Stand alone program – augment an identified lack of Asian content in your syllabus
- As the basis for a Depth Study project
- To stimulate class discussions and debates
- How much time does it take? It depends on whether you use one level or all three. The Asia Wise Challenge takes 2-3 hours, Asia Wise in Depth 8 – 10 hours and Asia Wise attitudes 3 – 4 hours.
We found the flexible timing great. We were able to fit Asia Wise in around a lot of other activities at the end of term.Cat Jones
The Asia Wise Challenge has brought glowing reports about History and Geography to our school. Students are beginning to see more relevance and fun in the humanities.Robyn Coase-Willis
A great competition! The students really enjoyed doing it.Colleen Carr
Our students enjoyed the Asia Wise Competition. Feedback on schools progress in relation to state for each category was useful.Roslyn Allison